Monday, March 12, 2012

"Kony 2012": Where you live shouldn't determine whether you live



On Friday, March 9, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch carried a front page story about Joseph Kony, a Ugandan warlord, who has been indicted by the International Criminal Court and yet who, for the most part has been unknown in the West.  (I certainly had never heard of him.) 

That all changed with a YouTube video, "Kony 2012," posted earlier this week.  Three days later it had been viewed 40 million times.  As I write this on Saturday, March 10, the video has been viewed almost 65 million times.

Although there is real question in the justice and peace community about whether to support this particular effort or not, I find the video and the website (www.kony2012.com)  potentially valuable resources because they show the process of how the "Kony 2012" campaign brings people from different political perspectives together around values which unite them and offers the opportunity for social change. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on how this video and site could be helpful but I also find it a bit discouraging that so many people didnt even know who Kony was until this video came about and I just dont know if everyone who jumped on bored intentions are to truly stop this or if it is just because everyone else is doing it. Are people truly watching this and getting something out of it to try and better the world or is it just something that like I said everyone is doing? I believe it was made and had all intentions for a good cause I just hope everyone is taking it in that way.

    ReplyDelete